System Staff Newsletter - March 2012
|Back to Current Newsletter|
Welcome to the Stony Brook University, Department of Computer Science System Staff Newsletter. It is our goal to keep all of our students, faculty, staff and community members informed about the great things that the System Staff is doing. The newsletter is monthly and will encompass major initiatives undertaken by the System Staff to support the research and teaching goals of the department. We hope you find our newsletters informative and welcome any feedback that you wish to provide.
Peter Ruland, the Windows Labs and Clients Administrator of the CS Dept System Staff has been selected as the department's new Windows Division Manager. The departure of Ashwin Nagrani left a vacancy in the System Staff. After several rounds of interviews Peter was selected by the hiring committee as the best candidate. Please join us in congratulating him on this promotion if you see him.
- New Certificate Service
Stont Brook DoIT has registered with InCommon Certificate Service. There is a new procedure for obtaining digital certificates from DoIT. The service will be managed by DoITís Systems Support team at no cost to the departments who use this service. More information can be found in the Faculty Only area of the SSO.
If you have further questions regarding this, please feel free to contact us.
- Lab Updates
Room 1310: The wires running on the floor are covered by metal strips similar to those in room 2311. The projector is hardwired using a newer and thinner video cable running under protective metal strips. Power strips are affixed to the underside of tables on two sides of the room.
- Sbgwap1 Wireless Network (REMINDER)
A few months back the department deployed a new wireless network system with networks cs_secure & cs_guest. The previous department wireless network system, sbgwap1, will continue to exist but is being transitioned to research functions. All department wireless users are encouraged to connect to one of the new wireless networks as the System Staff will no longer be able to support the use of sbgwap1.
- News and Social Media
For those who have not yet entered the world of social media, join us on or follow us on to get some interesting updates.
We have integrated social media with our department website by publishing the latest tweets on the website. Please send email to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org to publicize any news, events, a PhD defense, a paper published at a great conference or journal, a grant received, a seminar hosted, kudos to someone in your class, or whatever else you think is of interest.
Please also note that the tweet has a limit of 140 characters. All publications on twitter will appear on the department's facebook page as well.
- Password Reset Features : We will be implementing the last phase of the password reset software solution shortly. This will allow all faculty/staff and students to change, unlock and reset their passwords via a web interface accessible from anywhere you are. Currently, only students have access to this.
- Lab Updates : Room 2129: The chalkboard is being replaced with a whiteboard and the projection screen is being shifted towards the door to allow use of the projector and whiteboard at the same time.
- Backup and File Synchronization: A backup and file synchronization service for Mac's is being created. The system will be based upon Chronos and requires a client agent to be loaded on the users Mac. The advantages to Mac users are: backups from anywhere connected on the internet, file synchronization between multiple Macs (users may configure advanced features and functions) and user access to recover files.
- Minix Infrastructure: The Minix cluster and Minix specifically will be upgraded with newer systems having more RAM and faster CPU.
- Students can reset their windows account by clicking on https://auth01.cs.stonybrook.edu:10443.
- Check our FAQs which are updated frequently
- To contact the System Staff send e-mail to RT AT cs DOT stonybrook DOT edu or call the hotline - 2-2772
- Follow us on and provide feedback.
|2011||December, November, October, September, August, July, June , May, April, March|