|Back to Faculty Directory|
Computer Science Department
2313-E Computer Science
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-4400
Phone: (631) 632-5758
Computer and Network Security, Software/Distributed Systems, Programming Languages, Software Engineering.
R. Sekar obtained his Ph.D. in Computer Science from Stony Brook University in 1991 ,and B. Tech in Electrical Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology, Madras in 1986.
R. Sekar's main research focus is on software and systems security. It is driven by practical problems, and emphasizes building real systems. It draws on principles and techniques from programming languages and compilers, operating systems, algorithms, networks, and artificial intelligence to address problems such as:
- Software vulnerability mitigation (buffer overflows, SQL injection, XSS, ...)
- Malware and untrusted code defense
- High-performance intrusion detection (network and host-based)
- Attack isolation and recovery
- Self-healing and self-regenerative systems
- Monitoring and management of distributed systems
AWARDS & ACTIVITIES
R. Sekar won the Chancellor's award for Excellence in Scholarship and Creative Activities in 2011, SUNY Research and Scholarship Award in 2006, Faculty Service award, Department of Computer Science from 2002 to 2004, Promising Inventor Award, Research Foundation of SUNY in 2003, and the Department Research Excellence award from 2000 to 2002.
CSE 304, CSE 307, CSE 408, CSE 504, CSE 508, CSE 509, CSE 608