CSE 532: Theory of Database Systems
Instructor: Himanshu Gupta (Office hours: 4pm Tuesdays/Thursday or by appointment, CS 1424; Phone: 632 8446)
TA: Fatima Zarinni (fzarinni@cs; Email her for an appointment).
- FINALS will be OPEN BOOK. Time: 5:30-8pm on Monday (5/20/13). In our classroom.
- Put the HW5 in my MAILBOX (in the pit area) by 5pm today.
- HW5 is extended to 14th May (coming Tuesday), 4pm. See the updated note on 18.3.4 below.
- For Ex 18.3.4 (b), you MAY assume the following (you don't have to). Assumption: For consistency r2(A) precedes w2(A); ininconsistent orderings, the three actions can appear in any order. Note that WITHOUT any assumptions: There is no ordering imposed among the three transaction actions, because the exercise is asking for "orderings of read, write, and locks" (rather than interleaving of transaction with locks/unlocks).
- HW 5 is now available. Due 9th May.
- See hints for HW 4. Updated 8.02pm, 4/22.
- HW4 is available now. As before, you may collaborate in groups of 4.
Textbook Exercises: As a general rule, for any textbook exercise, you
are allowed to use only those concepts that have been covered in or before the
textbook section where that exercise appears.
Unless mentioned otherwise, you are welcome to discuss homework problems among yourselves.
However, you must write your own solutions and must acknowledge such collaboration
with the submission.
The textbook exercises marked '*' have their solution available online (on the
textbook website), and you are welcome to have a look at them. However,
Using any other means (including other text books, anybody other than your
classmates' help, solutions on web, etc.) to get access to assignment
would constitute violation of honor code. You are welcome to use other
resources to understand/grasp underlying concepts, but accessing solutions
through any other resources is not acceptable.
If you have any questions regarding this, please ask me. I
would deal with such violations VERY STRICTLY.
Database Systems: The
Complete Book by Hector Garcia-Molina, Jeff Ullman, and Jennifer Widom. SECOND edition.
(First two chapters are available online).
The exercise numbers in the INTERNATIONAL 2nd edition of the text book may be different.
- Assignments/Quizzes: 50%
- Midterm: 20%
- Finals: 30%
Tentative List of Topics (Slides will become available over time)